Ok, having dipped my toes into the world of book challenges with my Read One Book Challenge, I've decided to host another one! (that one is going spendidly by the way, there's like 4 whole people signed up!)
One of the things you will notice if you watch LOST is that books are displayed everywhere and that characters are named after authors, philosophers, and characters in books. Sawyer is a voracious reader and the Others have a bookclub. If you're a nerd like me...it's a dream come true. This is quite intentional work from the creative team, in fact, on one of the DVD extras they basically said they want to send the message that books are cool.
Well God bless em.
So since we have to wait till 2009 for more LOST (the horror) I thought it would be fun to read some of the books featured or alluded to on the show. I'm somewhat distressed to report that I haven't read many of them, so I have MANY options. I hope you'll join in. In order to make this the most successful and fun challenge that it can be, I want lots of participants. Come on...you know you love LOST! And books! And me!
Here are the rules of the Challenge:
1) Check out this site, and this site and compile a list of 5 books and upwards that you want to read to complete this challenge. (If you know another book mentioned on the show or relating to the show, you can defend your choice in your post) Update: If you have not finished watching the show, please use this list, so as not to be spoiled!
2) Write a post on your blog announcing your intention to participate in the challenge, list the books you want to read, and invite your readers to do the same. Then come back here and add a direct link to your post to Mr. Linky. (not a general link to your url)
3) You are absolutely welcome to cross books from this challenge with books in other challenges.
4) You must complete the challenge by December 31st, 2008.
5) There will be prizes raffled for those who complete the challenge, I just haven't figured out what yet!
6) If you are not a blogger, you can email me your plan to participate and I'll make a post for you right here on my blog...see? I love you too!
Periodically, I'll host another Mr. Linky so you can record your progress and any insights you've learned about the show.
For the not so bookishly or Lostie inclined, I'll be announcing another challenge soon!
Grab the button code here!
<center><a href="http://www.myfriendamysblog.com/2008/06/lost-books-challenge.html"><img src="http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg290/thefriendlybooknook/LOSTBooksbutton.jpg" alt="My Friend Amy" /></a</center>